Saturday, April 20, 2013

What's Your Favorite Zombie Movie?


Sure, the original Dawn of the Dead is an iconic movie in the horror industry. It's one of my all-time favorite
films, one I've watched as often as Alien and The Lion King. My favorite zombie appears at the start of the original Day of the Dead, a movie that is severely underrated, in my opinion. I also happen to enjoy the Tom Savini remake of Night of the Living Dead; but none of those are my favorite zombie films.

Lucio Fulci's Zombie is both ludicrous and masterful. The creepy music, the long silences, the gory kills; not to mention the infamous shark scene! By today's standards, you might think the zombie makeup is a bit off, but you have to suspend your belief in reality to enjoy any monster film. I hate CGI with a passion; I have a difficult time watching movies that look like cartoons, including almost any superhero movie made since the over-the-top Batman film directed by Tim Burton. The zombies in Fulci's film are dreadful and relentless. Their silence, and the way they're filmed, enhances both the atmosphere and the tension. I love the visuals in this wicked flick, although a lot of modern viewers will feel that this movie is dated and should be "remade." Ugh…

In retrospect, Zombie is not a better film than Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Trust me, it makes sense in my head. 

My favorite ending in a zombie film has to be the conclusion to Burial Ground. This movie is a bit strange anyway, but I think it doesn't get enough credit for being a good zombie movie. In context, there weren't too many zombie films until recently; now they're everywhere! I enjoy classic horror, and old-school special effects are more suitable for zombie movies. Burial Ground is better known for its weird characters, but I can never forget the ending. There is a distinct B-movie quality to it and the dubbing is downright awful, but that's part of the fun. 

Another underrated movie is The Dead. I know a lot of people dislike the movie, but it has more of a classical horror feel to it, which makes it a lot more enjoyable for someone who prefers more traditional zombies. The movie's plot is threadbare and the theme is carried our rather awkwardly, but I appreciate the movie for what it is. It's not exactly a movie I'm going to watch over and over again, but it gives me hope there will be a good zombie movie that doesn't overuse cartoon graphics. 




What's your favorite zombie movie? 
 







             

4 comments :

  1. When I was a teenager in the late 80s, I went to a midnight showing of Burial Ground, which was the first time I'd seen the film. "Weird characters" is an understatement, but I have to say that film has really stuck with me over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to post a picture of my favorite character from Burial Ground on the blog! The horrible dubbing really added to the creepy qualities of this movie's most memorable character...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, my favorite will always be the movie we made in high school. Not that I've really seen many beyond the original Night of the Living Dead or Shaun of the Dead, but the very notion of the worst monster being the very literal reflection of our living selves, makes it one of the best and truly terrifying genres of horror. Simon Pegg wrote an extremely insightful preface to The Walking Dead graphic novels that really sums up the appeal. Worth a read if you haven't seen it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacob, I remember that movie very well! I never did get a copy of it. Thank you for the recommendation... I will take you up on it. Your insight about the genre is really neat! I might have to quote you!

      Delete